07 October 2008

- Having Faith in We, the People -

Andrew Sullivan writes:
I have faith in the American people. They'll see through this to what we need, and make the best choice available. They made the right choice in the 1930s, unlike many other nations. They will make the right choice again. If I didn't have that faith, I wouldn't have the hope I feel.

I wish I had that faith. Personally, I have rarely experienced anything but disappointment in We, the People, who always seem to fall to the power of distraction. So far, this election campaign has been different, whether that is because of Obama's skill, McCain's incompetence, or a combination of both is yet to be decided. In any case, distraction does seem to have lost some of its usual power.

Of course, there is nothing like a major financial meltdown to fix one's attention.